Our new Ordinary Slacks represent a first move into a new area for AO2. We've done some basic clothing before, t-shirts and hoodies and whatnot. But these are different. It's not just slapping a logo on a readymade. These pants have been completely custom made based on our own original design, and you won't find anything quite like them anywhere. They feature a roomy fit, top to bottom, plus a bunch of other small features that we hope will make them a new favourite. Here's a vertical rundown:
- Eight big belt loops: This is more than most pants, but if you've got roomy pants, having a couple extra loops helps keep the waist at waist level, and with an even number, we've done away with that one pesky belt loop that always makes the pain point right on your spine. Also, these loops are a bit bigger than normal belt loops, meaning you don't need to worry about your beefy wide belt fitting in them. Small details, and they may be irrelevant to your case, but if you know, you know.
- Six generous pockets: We've all got cargo, but we don't all want extra pockets halfway down the leg jangling around. While we haven't gone ridiculous on pocket size, we've discretely up-sized them from average pants, and we've added an extra coin pocket for ya. There's no special closures on the pockets, but they are deep enough and cut well enough to help prevent spillage when you're in and out of your vehicle and so on throughout the day.
- Hidden diamond gusset: This is a little feature that's not uncommon in sportswear where range of motion is necessary, but you rarely see it in daily use pants. The gusseted crotch basically takes the stress off the inseam and allows freer movement, but it's barely noticeable during normal daily activities.
- Robust cotton canvas: These are made from 260gsm 100% cotton canvas. This is a good mid-weight.. thick enough to feel substantial and to take abuse, but noticeably lighter than most denim pants. The construction is reinforced with bar tacks at all stress points. They are stiff out of the bag but soften right up after a wash or two.
- Plenty of slack: The fit of these is roomy all the way to the bottom cuff, but not offensively so. The effect is a casual look that gives a very relaxed feel, without trying too hard at it. Read the back story below for more on the fit.
- Wide hems: The slacks are only available in a single length right now, and it's pretty long, but this is purposeful. They are designed with rolls in mind, and between the wide hem and the sturdy material, rolls stay put remarkably well.
The pants are only available in limited sizes (waist 30, 32, 33, 34, and 36) this round, and only in two colours (navy and olive green). The inseam length on all sizes is a solid 33, which will give most humans enough length to roll the cuffs. The sizes are actual sizes in inches (see photos). The pants are a true 100% cotton and they are not preshrunk, so they will shrink a fair bit if washed and dried hot. If you're not in this size range or if you're fixed on another colour (we get it), we'll try to get you in the next production batch.
NOTE: The current pricing is just for the launch, and is only for the first 200 pairs. Since this is a new branch for AO2, we want to make it easy for folks to check these out. Final pricing TBD, but will be up around what you'd expect to pay for something comparable.