MKUltras - Ti Mini Sigma Edition
MKUltras - Ti Sigma Edition
The MKUltras are a hybrid design, combining elements of traditional Mala and Komboloi beads. The MKUltra name gives a nod to this lineage, as well as their expedience as tools to help us focus our minds and still our thoughts. They can be used in a variety of ways, ranging from quiet bead counting, through to raucous flipping.
The unique setup of the MKUltras allows them to be worn like mala beads, or carried discretely in the pocket. They adjust by means of a simple friction fit through the larger "Micro Boss" bead closure. Although the design is exceedingly simple, we're fairly confident you won't find anything quite like them around. This is a knotless system, and does not require any special lock bead. The cord is simply compressed when threaded through the Micro Boss bead, providing a reliable, secure fastener, that is easy to adjust when needed.
In this way, the Ultras can be worn on the wrist, or loosened and slid up above the elbow to keep them out of the way when needed. Excess cordage can be knotted loosely around the Micro Boss bead when they are worn on the wrist, or left dangling. This modifiable arrangement allows them to be used very quietly, for simple bead counting used in breath work and meditation, to "raindrop" methods marked by the satisfying, rhythmic clacking of the beads, as well as much more physical methods of manipulation which resemble short game begleri play. While they aren't intended as a highly technical skill toy, there are still a solid range of moves you can link together, and lots of ways of working with them.
Mini Sigma Edition
The MKUltras Mini Sigma Edition consists of 31x 9mm beads, with a 11.8mm Micro Boss bead to close/ adjust the loop. These beads are lighter than the original Ultras, making them easier to flip in the manner of begleri, and the cylindrical shape and relatively larger number of beads makes them excellent for the raindrop style of play. Click here to see the Ultras in action on our Instagram feed.
- 31x 9mm sigma-style beads (similar to but smaller than the sigma begleri) + 1x 11.8mm Micro Boss
- Grade 5 Titanium, polished ~43g per set
- Natty (polished)
- Natty (sandblasted with polished boss)
- Shinobi (black PVD with natty boss)
- Sunset (multicolour fade PVD with natty boss)
- Business Class (gold PVD with natty boss)
- Blue (blue anodized with natty boss)
- NOTE ON FINISHES: All sets will trend towards a tumbled natty look over time. The PVD is the most durable finish available, but will wear and dull as the beads are hammered. The blue will fade initially with touch, and the colour saturation will dull then stabilize (see comparison photo for reference), but the anodizing is ultimately less robust than the PVD.
- Strung on AO2's new custom 2mm Kevlar cord
- All beads drilled with 3.5mm bore
NOTE: The pricing on the Ultras is a function of the per bead production cost x the number of beads. With sets requiring many small beads, the production savings in raw material is negligible, but the per bead costs for handling and finishing are multiplied by a larger factor. This is why sets with many small beads can end up being more costly than those with fewer larger beads.
New to the Ultras? You can wear em on your wrist, or check out the video below for some other examples of what these beads are capable of.