- Sling Slam 2020 runs August 27-30th, 2020
- Submit 20-30s clips online to participate
- Clips must be continuous, but slow mo/ freeze frames are allowed
- Any conventional begleri set can be used
- Minimal editing effects and short intro/ title screens only
- Submit clips on Instagram, using #slingslam2020, AND #ss2020competitive or #ss2020recreational, or see below for other submission options
- Prizes for top three in each tier
Sling Slam 2020, our second annual worldwide open begleri freestyle contest, is scheduled to run August 27-30th, 2020. It will be an online event, run in the same style as Sling Slam 2019 and our annual Single Grip Open events. Participants will submit freestyle begleri clips online, conforming to the rules below, showcasing their best tricks, flow, and video production skills. As with previous events, most of the action is expected to take place on Instagram, but contestants are welcome to submit clips on other platforms as well. Full details and rules below.
Our focus is on participation over competition for these events, so we have draw prizes and a special promo code for participants. We are also running two tiers for the event. The "Recreational" tier is for casual slingers, those who are new to the game, and those who are just in it to be involved. The "Competitive" tier is for those who have been at it a little longer and are more polished in their begleri flows. There is no strict line between tiers, and we ask players to self select based on where they feel most comfortable, and where their submissions will fit most fairly alongside other players. If the judges see a need, we may bump an entry into the more appropriate tier.
Sling Slam will be a judged competition, and judging will be conducted according to three equally weighted criteria. This year's judges will be:
- Mitch @musclebones
- Nina @np_begleri
- Simon @gpfsye
- Chris @chainheart._
- Matt @aroundsquare
- sufficient lighting, begleri clearly visible
- good framing, clean/ appropriate background, sufficient contrast
- filming, stable frame, begleri in frame etc.
- sophistication, complexity, difficulty of tricks
- variety of trick elements
- performance and style
- good flow, tight/ clean execution
- clean editing
- matching with music etc.
- additional elements (humour, finishing moves, combo construction etc.)
How to Participate
Sling Slam 2020 will run August 27-30th, 2020. All you have to do to participate is to prepare a freestyle begleri clip or edit, compliant with the rules below, and post it publicly to one of the designated platforms listed below. Please be sure to tag your entry appropriately so that the judges will know which tier you are competing in, either recreational, or competitive.
- Instagram: Post a public clip to your own account, and tag it with the hashtags #slingslam2020, AND #ss2020competitive or #ss2020recreational to indicate which tier you’re competing in
- Facebook: Post a public clip to the page: https://www.facebook.com/begleriworldcup/
- Reddit: Post a public clip to the sub: https://www.reddit.com/r/SingleGripOpen/
- If you want to submit via an alternative platform, please email a link to firstname.lastname@example.org
- All clips must be submitted prior to 11:59pm Pacific time on August 30th, 2020. Clips will be reviewed by the judges, and winners will be announced after the closing of the contest.
- This is an “open” freestyle competition, meaning there are no restrictions on play. Multiple grip changes, aerials, two-handed play, and so on, are all allowable. Players are limited to one set of begleri.
- Any begleri can be used (i.e., it does not need to be an AO2 set).
- Clip must be continuous, and must be 20s to 30s in length
- Clip may contain slow motion segments, zooming, and other editing, provided the continuity of the clip is not interrupted (freeze frames are allowed, but no reversal of clip direction)
- Clip editing should not detract from the clear depiction of the freestyle begleri performance (text and drawn animations are allowed, but should be used sparingly; additional windows within main window should not be used)
- Minimize introductions (title screens are allowed, but will count as part of the max 30s clip length)
- Clips must be tagged appropriately (see above)
- Players self-select which tier they are competing in, but the judges reserve the right to bump any player from the recreational tier up to the competitive tier if they feel the submission is more appropriate there
- Notwithstanding the rules and clarifications above, the clip must reflect the intent of this contest as a pure freestyle begleri contest. If the judges feel there are excessive deviations from that intent, the clip may be disqualified at the judges’ discretion, regardless of whether they are explicitly breaking the rules.
- Anything not explicitly allowed in the rules, and anything falling into a grey area, will be subject to judges’ decision, which will be final. If you’re unsure of something you can contact AO2 for clarification prior to the competition.
- Please only submit one clip. Participants posting more than one clip will be disqualified.
- Use the best lighting available. In general, the more light you flood into your filming space, the better the quality of your clip.
- Use a clean background such as a blank wall, a hanging backdrop or sheet, a clean floor, or if all else fails, a clean patch of pavement or grass outdoors etc.
- Minimize fancy editing that creates visual clutter and detracts from following the flow of the begleri
- Add a tune to your clip (it makes it more entertaining for viewers)
- Use editing sparingly to accentuate key tricks or highlight sync with your selected music
Lots of great prizes are planned for this year’s contest, including draw prizes that will go to randomly selected participants. There will be designated prizes for 1st, 2nd, and 3rd in the main contest. Draw prizes will be given to randomly selected participants from both the main and exhibition division. There will also be a “most innovative” award which will go to the most innovative entry from either of the divisions.Competitive division
- First prize: $200 cash; bragging rights as 2020 World Champ; choice of any AO2 item, including exotics
- Second prize: $100 cash; choice of any AO2 item, including exotics
- Third prize: $50 cash; choice of any AO2 item, including exotics
- First prize: $200 store credit
- Second prize: $100 store credit
- Third prize: $50 store credit
- Grab bag of items, plus $50 store credit
Draw prizes will be awarded on each day of the contest, from August 27th to 30th, meaning that participants who submit a clip earlier will have more chances to win. There will be one draw prize winner per day, randomly selected from the clips as of that day.
All participants will be given a promo code, offering 25% off a future purchase with Aroundsquare