Mini Hydras - Mixed Media
Mini Hydras - Mixed Media Editions
Aroundsquare's Hydra Begleri are a fun yet highly capable modern adaptation of the traditional Greek multi-bead begleri. While the full Hydra begleri line includes different sizes, colours, and materials, and allows for mixing and matching of beads, the full titanium Mini Hydras have been praised by elite players as one of the best begleri sets available. There is something special about the size, shape, weight, and multi-bead configuration that makes the ti Mini Hydras a favourite that players keep coming back to.
The Mini Hydras are a slightly down-sized version of the original Hydra beads, 14mm in diameter, and 7mm tall each. They are drilled to accommodate 550 paracord, with an exposed knot.
The Hydras are extremely playable, and despite their cylindrical shape, are surprisingly nimble. They are less solid and therefore slightly quieter than heavier single-bead designs, and the multiple beads add a nice "fiddle factor" to each set. The rounding of all edges on the beads adds to the comfort and overall feel.
The Mixed Media Editions
As one of our most popular designs ever, the Mini Hydras have been produced in a wide range of materials over the years. In order to avoid too many different product listings, some of our favourite material combinations are collected here (select using drop down). These mixed material designs make for interesting play variations, because the beads have different weights and can be rearranged to make the set play more top heavy or bottom heavy depending on your preferences.
In addition to the options in this listing, there are other versions available in their own dedicated product listings, including the following: full titanium; mokuti; mokume gane + ebony; stainless steel + delrin; and zirc + acrylic.
The following options are available in this listing:
- Two bronze + four ebony wood (~1.0g each)
- Two copper + four ebony wood (~1.0g each)
- Two stainless steel (one wordmarked, one plain) + two 7075 aluminum
- Please note that items included in the package (strings, stickers, patches, bags etc.) vary in colour and quantity depending on availability
Notes on the materials:
- The ebony wood beads will also darken over time as they absorb oils from your hands. You can accelerate this process by oiling or waxing them with an appropriate non-toxic product.
- Bronze and copper are both quite soft, and will wear and patina over time. Copper tend to patina much more than bronze.
- 7075 aluminum is also reasonably soft and will scratch quicker than the stainless steel, but should retain its clean metallic colour.
New to begleri? Check out Aroundsquare's AO2 Crew demonstrating what this toy's all about, via the talented guys at Kuma Films (below). You may also want to visit our general information page on begleri, or do a deep dive on the history, configurations, or manipulation of this remarkable little toy.