MKUltras - Mokume Gane Short Form Editions
MKUltras - Mokume Gane Edition
The beautiful Mokume Gane material is forged from folded layers of copper, brass, and cupronickel, then precision machined, and highly polished. While the polished version does not initially have a high contrast between material layers, this will change as the materials begin to patina, and ultimately it will show beautiful colour patterns and contrast levels.
- Small Size: 29 x 8mm beads + 1x 10mm bead (~58g per set). Our 8mm beads are drilled with a 3mm bore and strung on our custom 2mm kevlar cord.
- Deca Size: 23x 10mm Micro Boss beads + 1x 11.8mm lil Boss (~88g per set) * two additional beads to the short form setup (23 in total). Our 10mm beads are drilled with a 3.5mm bore and strung on our custom silk cord.
- Note that the current batch of 10mm mokume beads is slightly shorter than our other metals, due to a more generous rounding of the edges, and as such we have upped the number of beads from 21 to 23 in order to give the full set a comparable length.
- Original Size: 19x 11.8mm Micro Boss beads + 1x 15mm lil Boss (~139g per set)
- Mokume Gane material, polished or etched
General Info on the Ultras - Mala/ Komboloi Hybrid Beads
The MKUltras are a hybrid design, combining elements of traditional Mala and Komboloi beads. The MKUltra name gives a nod to this lineage, as well as their expedience as tools to help us focus our minds and still our thoughts. They can be used in a variety of ways, ranging from quiet bead counting, through to raucous flipping.
The unique setup of the MKUltras allows them to be worn like mala beads, or carried discretely in the pocket. They adjust by means of a simple friction fit through the larger "Boss" bead closure. Although the design is exceedingly simple, we're fairly confident you won't find anything quite like them around. This is a knotless system, and does not require any special lock bead. The cord is simply compressed when threaded through the Boss bead, providing a reliable, secure fastener, that is easy to adjust when needed.
In this way, the Ultras can be worn on the wrist, or loosened and slid up above the elbow to keep them out of the way when needed. Excess cordage can be knotted loosely around the Boss bead when they are worn on the wrist, or left dangling. This modifiable arrangement allows them to be used very quietly, for simple bead counting used in breath work and meditation, to "raindrop" methods marked by the satisfying, rhythmic clacking of the beads, as well as much more physical methods of manipulation which resemble short game begleri play. While they aren't intended as a highly technical skill toy, there are still a solid range of moves you can link together, and lots of ways of working with them.
New to the Ultras? You can wear em on your wrist, or check out the video below for some other examples of what these beads are capable of.