MKUltras - 10mm TItanium Edition
MKUltras - 10mm Edition
The MKUltras are a hybrid design, combining elements of traditional Mala and Komboloi beads. The MKUltra name gives a nod to this lineage, as well as their expedience as tools to help us focus our minds and still our thoughts. They can be used in a variety of ways, ranging from quiet bead counting, through to raucous flipping.
The unique setup of the MKUltras allows them to be worn like mala beads, or carried discretely in the pocket. They adjust by means of a simple friction fit through the larger "Micro Boss" bead closure. Although the design is exceedingly simple, we're fairly confident you won't find anything quite like them around. This is a knotless system, and does not require any special lock bead. The cord is simply compressed when threaded through the Micro Boss bead, providing a reliable, secure fastener, that is easy to adjust when needed.
In this way, the Ultras can be worn on the wrist, or loosened and slid up above the elbow to keep them out of the way when needed. Excess cordage can be knotted loosely around the Micro Boss bead when they are worn on the wrist, or left dangling. This modifiable arrangement allows them to be used very quietly, for simple bead counting used in breath work and meditation, to "raindrop" methods marked by the satisfying, rhythmic clacking of the beads, as well as much more physical methods of manipulation which resemble short game begleri play. While they aren't intended as a highly technical skill toy, there are still a solid range of moves you can link together, and lots of ways of working with them.
The MKUltras 10mm Edition consists of 21x 10mm beads, with a 11.8mm Micro Boss bead to close/ adjust the loop. Though less than 2mm smaller in diameter than the beads of the original Ultras, the beads on the 10mm Edition feel substantially smaller on the wrist, in the pocket, and in the hand. The smaller sized beads are lighter, making them easier to flip in the manner of begleri, while the round shape makes them easy to grab individually for bead counting and breath work. Click here to see the Ultras in action on our Instagram feed.
- 21x 10mm spherical beads + 1x 11.8mm Micro Boss (bead dimensions may vary slightly due to polishing and chamfering)
- Grade 5 Titanium, polished ~43g per set
- Natty (polished)
- Natty (sandblasted with polished boss)
- Shinobi (black PVD with natty boss)
- Sunset (multicolour fade PVD with natty boss)
- Business Class (gold PVD with natty boss)
- Blue (blue anodized with natty boss)
- NOTE ON FINISHES: All sets will trend towards a tumbled natty look over time. The PVD is the most durable finish available, but will wear and dull as the beads are hammered. The blue will fade initially with touch, and the colour saturation will dull then stabilize (see comparison photo for reference), but the anodizing is ultimately less robust than the PVD.
Strung on AO2's new custom 12-strand, high density, 2mm Kevlar cord
- All beads drilled with 3.5mm bore
New to the Ultras? You can wear em on your wrist, or check out the video below for some other examples of what these beads are capable of.